Curious about camping, but don't know where to start?
Would you like to try camping, but don't want to invest in the gear just yet? We can help!
2023 Learn to Camp
July 15 - 16, 2023 at Five Islands Provincial Park
Learn to Camp is a fun and informative overnight camping experience. Learn how to create great adventures that will result in a lifetime of memories. We are again partnering with Scouts Canada – Nova Scotia Council to deliver this exciting event. Helpful instructors will guide you as you learn how to set up camp, cook meals using outdoor cooking gear, and light a campfire. Although Learn to Camp is designed for campers of all ages, children and youth must be accompanied by an adult.
Instructors share their knowledge about the outdoors and the special natural features found at the park. In addition to learning the basics, participants can take part in hands-on workshops that teach skills to be used for future outdoor adventures.
Learn how to:
- Select camping and outdoor cooking gear
- Set up and tear down camp (including your tent)
- Safely start campfires, cook with them, and put them out
- $60 (1 to six participants) includes meals, tent, and instruction.
- Instructional and hands-on sessions
- Use of a family-size tent for the workshop (or bring your own)
- Use of a flashlight or lantern for the workshop (or bring your own)
- Lunch and supper on Saturday
- Breakfast and lunch on Sunday
What to bring:
You will need to provide:
- Transportation to and from the workshop
- Sleeping bags, sleeping pads/mattresses, pillows and blankets
- Mess kits (plate, bowl, fork, knife, spoon, and mug) for each family member
- Lawn/camp chairs
- Personal effects (towels, toiletries rain gear, sunscreen etc.)
- Extra snacks/drinks
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
Check our personal equipment list for more information on what to bring with you.